Thursday 6 February 2014

Kids Making Meals Check In

So it has been four weeks now since the kids have been taking turns to make one meal a week. And so far it is going really well. At first I thought that it would just be my oldest two alternating weeks. But, my husband has decided it was time to add some well balanced meals to his cooking arsenal and asked to be added to the rotation. I am very excited about that!

Week one was fun. I took my middle daughter to the grocery store with me. This is a bit of a sacrifice for me because I loved having my alone time at the grocery store. It was a chance for me to just relax and be by myself. But, this is one sacrifice I do not mind making. It is fun teaching them about what tomatoes to choose or teaching them the lessons between buying cheap and buying quality. The meal that this daughter chose was hot dogs with watermelon and a mashed banana dip. Yummers! I let her pick out her own hot dog buns (cheaper the better), and wieners (quality is nice). She chose the no preservative natural wieners and I was very cool with that.

When it was time for her to prepare the meal I fully expected to be in the kitchen helping her. But, to my great surprise my wonderful husband helped her instead. So I got to sit back and relax. It was very nice.

Week two was my oldest daughter's turn. She chose to make macaroni and cheese. But, not the homemade kind with the grating and the white sauce and the baked goodness that comes out of your oven. Nope. Macaroni and cheese from a box, with the weird cheese powder that is so fluorescent you wonder how it is even food. One the plus side she picked the store brand box so it was $0.50 instead of $1 or more.

Once again I was fully expecting to be helping in the kitchen. But, my husband stepped in and helped her too! I must say I am feeling pretty spoiled.

I know that the meals that they chose were not the most healthy, or complex, but, my kids are four and six. I think it is just great that they are cooking and that they are excited about this. And, as this is their first meal, simple is good.

Week three was my husbands turn. Now I love my husband, but I was a bit apprehensive when he was making his selection. He is notorious for loving and wanting the blandest food known to man. Pasta with grated cheddar, or perogies, that are just boiled and that's it. I need sauce, or onions or something with a little bit of flavour. At first he was going to have penne with grated cheese. Something that he already knew how to make. With a little bit of persuasion I was able to convince him to branch out a bit more. Keep the penne but add a new element. He loves sausage and pepper penne from East Side Mario's so that is what he decided to make. He found the recipe himself told me what to buy and then he did it himself. He only asked me one question. And man was it delish! I think I will have to put it into my regular menu.

Week four was back to the middle daughter. This week she chose tacos! As already said before in a previous post, I love tacos! I was very excited. She put the meat in the pan but I cooked it, she then grated the cheese herself, prepared the lettuce, made the seasoning mix, but the shells on the cookie tray and put everything on the table. Pretty good for a four year old!

All of them, even my husband, felt so proud of their accomplishments. The girls loved helping and contributing to their family. So if you have young kids, or young at heart ones, I encourage you to give this a try. It is so fun to see their smiles and looks of pride when they know they have made a delicious meal for their family. Mommy having a break from cooking once a week doesn't hurt either!

No comments:

Post a Comment