Thursday 20 February 2014

February Blahs

I don't know what is happening, but I think it is safe to say that I have the case of the February blahs. I am just not feeling as excited about things as I normally am. Even the Olympics, which I love, are becoming a bit, meh to me. It's not that I feel really depressed or anything, but, just, blah.

Perhaps it is because I'm tired of the extreme cold we have been having her in the 'loo lately. It is way below seasonal and that wears you down after awhile. Although, this morning it was such a nice warm temperature, well, warm for winter standards. I chatted with some of the moms after school drop off for about 30 minutes. Maybe things are going to start looking up.

I am definitely tired of the bundling up routine we have going in the mornings. First I put on my boots and then my jacket. Then I have to get a squirmy 11 month old into her snow suit. Put her hat on, which she promptly tries to take off, and sometimes succeeds. Then I have to finagle her mittens on. I then put on my Boba 3G carrier. (It is the best baby carrier ever. I love it! Ergo Smergo. Bobas are where it is at.) Then I have to put in said squirmy baby into the carrier. I put the house key in my pocket. Put my hat and mittens on, and then I'm set. The whole time I am getting myself and the baby ready I am searching for lost mittens, helping with stuck zippers and in generally trying to urge along the other two, who would much rather be playing then getting ready for school. So, all of that for a 5 minute walk to school. Gak!

February is also the month where we are trying hard to stick to our austere budget, when really we would much rather be having fun doing other things. It is tough to balance what the kids want to do and what we want to do for our kids, with the reality of budget constraints and knowing what they actually need. But it is also nice to have a plan and financial goals. You know you are going someplace and are not depriving yourself for now reason. It is the whole appreciating the simple things, the things that really matter.

Having the February blahs seems to magnifies everything you are not exactly content with in your life and makes it a bigger issue than what it really is. Example, daughters socks not getting into the laundry hamper. Usually not a big deal, though it would be nice for the socks to be together in the hamper than separated on the floor. This month it is the world greatest catastrophe, well, at least to me.

I guess this is just part of the ebbs and flows of life. Seasons will change. The gray icky snow will soon melt and bring beautiful daffodils and tulips. And already I am starting to get some of my usual cheerfulness back and getting out of my meh drudgery.

What do you do to get out of your February blahs?

No comments:

Post a Comment