Thursday 13 February 2014

Olympics! Yay!

from flags.net

I don't know why, because I am not the most athletic person in the world, but I love the Olympics, specifically the winter Olympics. I love watching the skiing and the skating and the luge and the bobsleigh. I love seeing nations coming together, putting aside differences and competing. Of course there is always controversy. It wouldn't be life without it. But there is something about the Olympics that gives it an almost mystical quality.
As you can see, Olympic fever is running through our house. Since we don't have cable t.v. we watch the events we want online. CBC is doing a superb job broadcasting here in Canada. I am so glad they got the rights back. The great thing about watching online is I don't have to watch hockey if I don't want to. I know Canada is supposed to be this hockey nation, but I don't get it personally. I would much rather watch the finesse of a perfectly thrown curling stone, than see a hockey player hack away at the puck. It is just not that exciting for me. And, as the stations usually broadcast hockey games, making me miss other events, I can just skip all that and watch the events that I like. Isn't it great that we live in a time of such a technological marvel?

Even the dentist office is in Olympic spirits. I went to get my teeth cleaned today and they had a t.v. with the Olympics on. So much for reading my book. All the staff were in their Canada gear and there were flags everywhere. It was so neat to see.

I think that is what is so special about the Olympics. Whether you are athletic or not. It binds us together. Our nation, no matter how divisive we are during the rest of the year, comes together in support of something that is greater than ourselves. We look outside ourselves and we send our collective support to people we don't even know.  Other nations, who are smaller or less well off than our own, we cheer and celebrate them, wanting them to do well. I guess what I am trying to say is the Olympics helps us remember that we are more the same than we are different. That we all want love and support and worthy goals.

So enjoy the Olympic season. Cheer for your nation. Cheer for competing nations. Cheer for being part of this amazing global village!

No comments:

Post a Comment