Thursday 16 January 2014

Being at Home is Boring!?!?

When my oldest was still a small baby I went to a mom and baby group. It was mostly a time for moms to get adult interaction and that is very necessary and okay. We were talking about being at home with our babies and one of the moms said, "being at home is boring". That struck me at the time. I wasn't sure what to think. I wasn't bored at home. Sure, my life wasn't full of James Bondish excitement, but I would never have said, "I'm bored". I then began thinking, is something wrong with me that I am not bored and others are? Is there something more I should be expecting out of life and am oblivious to? I didn't reply or say anything to that comment at the time, I was still young and a bit unsure of myself and my new role as mother.

Now, after almost seven years of reflection, I realize that there is nothing wrong with being happy and content at home. If I ever am part of a conversation like that again where someone claims their boredom of being at home this is what I could add to the discussion.

I love being able to be at home. Being able to stay at home with my children, though sometimes crazy, is the best thing in the world. I am able to set up my own schedule. I am able to wear what I want and even stay in my pyjamas past noon!

If I went to work (by work I mean a job that takes me out of the home), I would not have the ability to teach my children the morals and standards that are important to me on a daily basis. I would have to trust that those who were in care of my young ones were teaching them and looking after them the way that I would.

If I went to work, I would not have time to find out about my interests, discover new hobbies, and cook new meals. Staying at home sort of makes me an explorer. What new thing should I try today?

I know that being at home with a small baby is not all that it is cracked up to be. There are way too many dirty diapers, and runny noses, and costume changes. The to-do list never gets shorter and sometimes you may feel defeated because you are not be able to get done all the things you used to be able to do. That's okay. This is the time to step back, figure out and focus on what you feel is the most important and be at peace with that. This time is really not about you. It is a time for us to think about others and this new life you have been given charge of.

Now that two of my children are in school, I am still loving home. Yes, cleaning and tidying can get monotonous, but I am privileged to be able to hone my skills, have blogs that give me a creative outlet, think of ways that I can make my home a safe haven for my family and others within my sphere. I get to spend my day working to make my home one of love and kindness, one of industry, one of teaching. There are so many things that I can choose to do that I wouldn't be able to do if I was at work.

Of course there are some days I wish I could just go to an office and not deal with the demands that children can place on you. Sometimes I feel like am a zoo keeper in charge of the monkey cage. But those days are few and far between. Usually I just go with the flow and things seem to work out just fine, especially when Daddy gets home and the kids can now ask him their million questions.

Staying home is what you make of it. If you don't think of things to do or try, it would be boring. It is all how you frame this opportunity. To me I frame it as exploration and reflection. Thus, my home and my role as wife and mother can never be boring. There are so many things I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment