Friday 12 December 2014

Days Nine to Twelve of the 12 Days of Decluttering Challenge

I did it! Today is the last day of the challenge and I did what I set out to do. Though this is only the beginning, what a beginning it was. Hopefully this will help me continue in my decluttering ways. One surface at a time.

Sorry for no before and after pictures. I got so busy and had to squeeze these declutterings in that I didn't even think about it until I was almost done. Sorry. 2015 will be better for pictures. I promise.

Day nine I tidied my sewing desk. It was heaped with mending that needed to be done, material, wool and just general junk. I needed it tidy so I could actually sew. I am making some Christmas presents and prefer not to have to stitch by hand. Now all I need is some drawers for my desk. (Christmas hint Matt)

Day ten I decluttered a book shelf in my living room. This is where I want to store our library books and then other kids favourites that they girls don't want to keep in their room. I also cleared off the end table in the living room which was covered in kids' junk.

Day eleven I cleaned off the top of the fridge. It was full of papers, and wrappers and other stuff that we put out of kids reach and then forgot about it. Out of all the things I decluttered this is the one my husband noticed without me telling him. It must have to do with his height as he would see the top of the fridge and I at my 5'3" would not.

Day twelve I cleaned off the top of my pantry. Like the fridge it was covered in papers and junk. It was nice to get it cleaned off and dusted.

So, what have I learned over the past twelve days?
  1. Decluttering is not that bad if you keep it small. When I look around my house at the junk that is here I usually feel overwhelmed and then helpless to do anything about it. When all I had to do was focus on one shelf, or one cupboard it made it easier. It meant that it was okay if I didn't tackle everything in the house in one go. I did a little. That little when done every day will add up to a whole lot.
  2. Clutter is really delaying decisions or hurt feelings. A lot of the things that were on my surfaces ended up in the garbage or recycling. There were art projects that one of the kids made that we felt we couldn't get rid of that second. There were bills that we paid but delayed putting in the shredder or file system. Somethings were items we had in our hand and put up when something else caught our attention. This year I really want to delay less. If I am done with something throw it out. If it is of no use to us, put in in the bin for the thrift store. If it is not important to do something with right then, it probably isn't worth holding on to. And, there will always be more art projects, so don't keep the junky ones.
  3. My family has too much stuff and I am looking forward to purging it.
If you did the challenge with me I hope that you are feeling as satisfied and quasi motivated as I am. If you haven't done it, do it now. What a great Christmas present it will be to yourself. Now the next goal, keep those surfaces clutter free!

No comments:

Post a Comment