Thursday 12 June 2014

Mushroom Fajitas. Yumyum!

As I plan out my menus I try to have meals where meat isn't the main item, or is not the biggest portion. Don't get me wrong, when I find out that they have discovered a way we can be healthy and get all our nutrients by being a carnivore, I am there. (To me nothing is better than a steak that still has a whisper of a moo.) But, that hasn't happened yet, and so I am all for being an omnivore to the max. Not only is being minimal with meat healthy for our bodies, it is healthy for our wallets too.

The other day I wanted fajitas but chicken and beef were both not on sale, but mushrooms were. I decided that I would use them instead of chicken. And my kids didn't even notice that much of a difference. The child who will try anything ate three helpings. The child who says everything I make is disgusting, well she said the same thing with these. So that means, to me at least, this is a winning recipe.

Oh, the mushrooms. Those fungi of the forest... or the manure pile... they are pretty awesome. In this recipe I used plain old white mushrooms. In the past I have used portebello. Portebello mushrooms have a nice meaty texture. You could use them as a hamburger substitute even. For this recipe you can really use whatever mushrooms you want.

So here it is.

2 tbsp canola oil
200g of mushrooms (I bought a big package that was like 450g and I think I used about half. Basically use as many as you want)
1 medium sized onion
1 pepper (I usually use red or orange or yellow peppers. I don't like the taste of green peppers when they are cooked and the colour of the other peppers give a nice pop.)
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp garlic powder (or one clove fresh)

Put canola oil in a large skillet and put on medium heat. Slice up the mushrooms, onion, and pepper and then add to mixture. Cook until onions are done and the peppers are starting to get soft, but are still a bit crunchy. Add seasonings and water. Stir and simmer until water is basically evaporated.

Serve on a tortilla wrap (This one is store bought. I have making my own on my bucket list.) top with sour cream, avacado, cheese, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, whatever you want really. Enjoy!

As a variation, this time I added some shredded carrot to it. It was really good. I think I might do it from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment